Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Light of Otto Piene

Otto Piene was the only author from this week's readings whom I found really interesting.  He had wonderful passages of imagery and description, and overall his writing style suggested a sense of consideration and friendliness toward the reader.  I wanted to research him further, and I found this New York Times article from last year detailing his work and his mediums: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/arts/otto-piene-german-artist-of-new-modes-dies-at-85.html?_r=0.

The article mentions that one of his best known works was something called "Olympic Rainbow," done for the 1972 Olympics.  I found a clip that shows a bit of the construction and presentation of the rainbow - 2:30 is about the point at which the artist really starts describing this piece.

Very Pretty!




Something he mentioned in the book was his Light Ballet work.  I found a short video of this installation here.  Watching it made me realize how much I love light sculptures!  Although I'm pretty sure I would have chosen different music.

How fascinating it would be to be able to experiment with light like this!



Shanken, Edward.  Art and Electronic Media.  New York: Phaidon Press, 2014.  Print.





1 comment: