Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Very Nervous System is Very, Very Impressive

I was intrigued by the project on page 146: "Very Nervous System," by David Rokeby.  After Googling the project and watching it in action on the artist's website, I was stunned that it is not more well-known, because the technology is incredible.  I could see movie-makers using it for choreographing or scoring projects, dance teachers using it as a tool for musicality and rhythm, and average citizens playing around with the sounds and speeds of the music.

I would love to be able to dance in complete time to music that I make with my movements - I think it would be such fun (although I think I would prefer different instruments from what the artist chose).  I encourage you to go here http://www.davidrokeby.com/vns.html
and watch the artist and his friend using the technology.  It's interesting that they used it in different ways - one mostly waving his hand around while standing still, the other person whirling about the room with a chair.

I really hope entertainment companies make use of this one-man-band-esque invention because I think it could be used spectacularly, especially when updated from 1990's technological capabilities to those of 2015.

I can't understand why such fun, innovative technology as this project has not been further developed and praised!

Shanken, Edward.  Art and Electronic Media.  New York: Phaidon Press, 2014.  Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment